Cure the Common Cold?
With all of the recent weather fluctuations the common cold has become a little too familiar. There has been maybe a total of 5 days I have been able to smell and taste my food since Christmas! I have tried everything. My usual homeopathics, constant warm teas, doses of black elderberry syrup, etc,etc,etc. So when I was visiting my local mom and pop natural food store in desperate need of something to break the cycle an unusual recommendation was made to me and I was so intrigued I just had to try it. She told me that the renowned psychic and medical clairvoyant, Edgar Cayce, had a wonderful diet that never failed for her to kick the common cold! So here are the tips I followed:
Cayce Cold Cure
- Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) – This was the backbone of the Cayce cold cure, because it is one of the basic elements of the body, and strongly alkaline. Taking it helps the body to recover the desirable alkalinity to fight off a cold.At the first sign of a cold, he advised taking a teaspoon in 6-8 ounces of water every hour until the cold backs off. Taking it when you already have the cold can make you feel a lot better, too.
- Eat lots of citrus fruits (especially organic, if possible)
- Fresh or canned tomatoes (Cayce considered them a citrus.)
- Drink plenty of liquids, especially hot
- Coffee – (with caffeine) He recommended it to help the adrenals, when they are in a sorry state. (unless other medical conditions prohibit) We normally drink little to no coffee, but colds are the exception.
- Orange juice (with lime)
- Hot honey-lemon with unflavored gelatin stirred in for coordination. (Try 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1-2 tablespoons of honey in a cup of hot water.)
- Drink lots of water
- The next 6 steps must be kept as ORGANIC as possible
- 1. Fruits and alkaline-reacting vegetables
- 2. Egg yolks, yogurt, raw milk, buttermilk
- 3. No meats or fish (except fat-skimmed chicken broth)
- 4. No starch except whole grain buckwheat, amaranth or quinoa, in unprocessed form (not buckwheat pancake mixes – they’re mostly white flour!). Sources for the whole grains are health food stores and coops, and sometimes the organic section of your local food chain.
- 5. Especially no white flour – pizza, pasta, bagels, hamburger and hot dog buns, crackers, noodles, white bread, cookies, toaster pastries, or most dry cereals (Take your lunch with you!)
- 6. No sugars except real, 100% maple syrup or honey
The supposed ‘cure’ is quite interesting. To research more into why Cayce thought this was the proper diet for a cold. His explanation was that colds cannot survive in an alkaline based diet. After sitting and thinking about it, he is absolutely right! Many illness will resolve themselves in alkaline.
So I gave it a try…and it worked! Now I am not crediting Cayce 100% and not saying any other outside factors may have helped, but there certainly is a very good chance that the Cayce diet definitely had a significant impact on shortening the severity of my cold!
Breathe in….Ahhhh fresh air! Til next time!