Vegan Weight Loss
I love when I talk to people about veganism and they always say, ‘you know you never see a fat vegan’. I have to laugh. There are fat vegans out there, not many, but they are there. You want to know the secret to vegan weight loss? It’s eating right! The vegan weight loss plan is the same as any other weight loss plan shockingly enough. However, vegan weight loss is a lot more effortless than the other weight loss alternatives.
What is a typical vegan weight loss plan?
First things first, it’s important that you remember that your vegan weight loss program will contain no animal based foods. This means you will not be eating any milk, butter, diary, fish, meat, or eggs. If you want to be really strict, nix honey too. Sorry but that’s an animal product too in vegan eyes. Committing to the vegan eating lifestyle is very important in achieving your vegan weight loss success. There is no ‘taking the weekend off’ option. Once you divulge in animal products you will be setting yourself back to the beginning, and detoxing your body of meat over and over isn’t the most favorable thing to do.
What can you eat?
- Organic fruits, vegetables (especially both raw and cooked), vegetable juice, pickled vegetables, salads, and juices
- Soy products, coconut products, beans, nuts, nut butters, vegan meat substitutes, lentils, and seeds
- Soy/Coconut/Rice/Sunflower Milks
- Organic canola, olive and sesame oils, and coconut oil
- Whole-grain organic cereals, whole-grain organic breads, whole-wheat pasta, vegetable pasta, tortillas, brown rice, barley, quinoa, potatoes, and sweet potatoes
- Organic corn chips; tofu/coconut/rice ice cream, always sweeten your treats with cane juice, maple syrup, raw sugar, coconut palm sugar, agave, or other natural, unrefined products
- Water, green tea, and yes you can have organic red wine (occasionally)
Now that you know what you can eat, let’s take a look at a sample vegan weight loss meal plan.
SAMPLE VEGAN WEIGHT LOSS MEAL PLAN #1
- Mango, Banana, Kiwi mixed with Coconut Yogurt
- Salad with lots of raw vegetables with raw dressing (or oil & vinegar)
Pad Thai with Tofu
SAMPLE VEGAN WEIGHT LOSS MEAL PLAN #2
- Single-serve Chocolate Coconut Milk
- Black bean burrito
- Vegan taco salad (diced tomato salsa, vegan sour cream)
- Vegan minestrone soup
- Mandarin-spinach salad
- Baked sweet potato
VEGAN WEIGHT LOSS SNACK & DRINK OPTIONS
- Fresh fruits
- Dried fruits or Vegetables
- Rolls or bagels
- Raw Juices
- Coffee drinks made with non-dairy options such as soy or rice milk
- Vegan Snack bars
Now you have some basic knowledge of what to expect if you choose the vegan weight loss method. Prior to starting any diet please consult with your physician. It is important that you know what is right for your body.